If you know, you know. Pink pickled onions rock and pretty much go with everything if you fancy them. They are crunchy, acidic and a beautiful pink so easily a winner with impressing friends or adding a little pink to your meal.
This recipe was inspired by one of Thomasina Mier’s Wahaca cookbooks – Mexican Food Made Simple which has loads of goodies and I would highly recommend for anyone that likes proper Mexican food. I have made the pink onions quite often ever since I first made them out of my friend’s cookbook, mostly by memory and I have written my simple recipe below for you to give a go. I also included a quick recipe when I posted one of my favourite dishes of pulled pork with pink pickled onions and sweet potatoes if you want to try a new meal. I have added the optional ingredients below there if you fancy, but you can have just as good pink pickled onions without them if you’re feeling lazy!
– 2 red onions
– 1 large orange
– 2 limes
– sea salt
– Small bunch fresh coriander chopped
– 1 or 2 red chillis finely chopped
1. Cut the red onions in half and peel. Thinly slice them so they are crescents and place in a jar, layering with small pinches of salt as you go.
2. Juice the limes and the orange and pour over the onions. Add the coriander and/or chillis now if you want. Mix to coat and push the onions down gently then give the jar a good shake to help mix everything together and for the onions to separate.
4. Place in the fridge for at least a couple of hours and you will see they start to turn a lovely pink!
5. Serve with on top of tacos, in burritos,with pulled pork, on scrambled eggs for breakfast, on toast with avocado and feta, in a grilled cheese sandwich or any sandwich… the list goes on!
I hope you enjoy them, what do you like to eat them with?