The warm weather has arrived (although not sure how long it will stay this time) and BBQ’s have been happening all over Brighton in home gardens, parks and of course our pebbly beach. One thing I love about BBQ’s are the exciting salads you can bring which are so fresh and vibrant and full of lovely colours.
A favourite of mine is this summery number which a friend of mine used to make a lot when she lived in Brighton. For our first BBQ of this year I decided to make it and it was a hit! Everyone loved it so I thought I would share the recipe. It’s super easy to make and doesn’t take long at all. You can adjust the seasonings to your taste of course, but the below is roughly what you’ll need to throw it all together.
It’s gluten, grain free and vegetarian, but contains dairy. If you can’t have dairy then you could always omit the feta for flavoured tempeh or something chopped into cubes, although I think the feta adds a nice tanginess that brings the salad together so might not work! This recipe will make a huge bowl to feed a decent group of people, so keep this in mind if there is just a few of you.
– 2 lemons
– a swig of EVOO
– 500g frozen peas
– 500g frozen edamame
– 1 pack feta of your choice
– 250g roasted cashews
– 1 pack fresh mint
1. Pour the edamame beans into a large pot and cover with boiling water. Bring them to boil until just tender (don’t overcook!) and then drain into a colander. Pour cold water over the beans until completely cool so they stop cooking.
2. Do the same with the peas. You know when the peas are cooked when they all rise to the surface of the water
3. Remove the stalks and roughly chop the mint and then cube the feta into 1cm x 1cm cubes and set aside.
4. Add into a large bowl the peas and edamame beans before adding the feta, mint, EVOO and cashew then thoruoghly mix.
5. Zest both of the lemons, careful not to get any pith, then juice them both and add the juice and zest to the bowl for mix.
6. Taste for seasoning and serve straight away and enjoy.
Hope you like it, let me know what you think!