A friend asked me the other day how she could make creamy mushrooms that were healthy and weren’t made with dairy. I thought about the ingredients that I happened to have at home at the time – almond milk and nutritional yeast? So I bought some mushrooms, and went straight home to give it a go. And it worked! They were delicious. I did add a slosh of white wine to enhance the flavour, but they were creamy, nutty, garlicky, and actually good for you! So I had to share the recipe.
I made them again for breakfast the next day and my boyfriend was very happy. If you follow a vegan diet, or simply cannot have dairy, I would recommend giving these a go! They make a perfect accompaniment to any meal, whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner. In fact, even if you can have dairy, the almond milk and nutritional yeast are a healthy substitute to cream 🙂
Ingredients: (serves 2 – double for more people)
Half a punnet of mushrooms – I used button, but any type would work well
Half an onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 large slosh of white wine (optional – but it does make it taste better)
Salt and pepper
1. In a non stick pan, heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil.
2. When hot, add the onions, and saute for 3-4 mins on a low heat until softened.
3. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and the mushrooms then cook for a further 3-4 mins until the mushrooms begin to brown.
4. Next, add the white wine and let it simmer until the wine has reduced. This cooks the alcohol off and will stop the almond milk from curdling.
5. Once the wine has reduced, add the almond milk, mixed herbs and the nutritional yeast, and stir to combine.
6. You want to reduce the liquid down to your desired sauce amount, so allow it to simmer, stirring occasionally until you have reached the consistency you would like.
7. Serve immediately, on toast, or part of a delicious breakfast like the one I made below.
Enjoy 🙂 xx